Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Stories of the Week for October 2, 2013


Hello, and welcome to another edition of SOTW.

Last night, I put together a new version of the book trailer for Try Not to Burn.  I liked the previous version I'd made, but I do have to admit that it was a bit slow paced.  And since I decided to add in a review quote that called the book “a real page turner,” I thought it made sense to have a faster video.  Also, the video's literally on fire now, which is an added bonus.  :)

The song running in the trailer is “Kill Me Quickly (Or Not at All)” by His Boy Elroy.  The title seemed like a good fit, given the theme of the book.

I'll keep working on it, since I may come up with something I like more, and the video was surprisingly easy to put together.  I added the video for the trailer above, but since I'm not sure how it will play on the blog, I'll also include a link to the animoto page below.  I'll probably upload it to youtube soon, just for good measure. 

http://animoto.com/play/8ookaee5JG1hR72TcS4lVw


As for my writing for the week, I had to take a small break from my Middle Grade novel.  I'm on page 203, and on the final chapter, but I couldn't resist the urge to head back to the dystopian Young Adult book I'd finished somewhat recently.

I revised the query letter, trying to make it a bit more fun and lively (it seems like everyone and their dog is writing a dystopian YA book now, so it'll take a lot for it to stand out, methinks), and I also wrote up a synopsis for it.

It took me all of Sunday, and it left my brain feeling like a wiggly blob of gelatin, but I eventually managed to distill the entire book down to a single page.

I've always hated writing synopses (I keep wanting to say “sypnopsises”) but they're definitely an important tool to have when submitting a novel, and they can be a useful writing exercise, as well.  I find that the more of them I write, the better I get at crafting a cohesive plot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment