Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stories of the Week for August 7, 2013



Much like buddy cop movies and boy bands, Stories of the Week is back. 

Not a ton of story news to report this week.  I've gotten a bit sidetracked from the environmental horror story I started last week.  I'm over 2500 words into it, and nearing the ending, but it seems I've gone and started another project.  As if I don't have enough  projects in the works already, I decided I needed one more on my plate.  This time, a Middle Grade novel.

For the new book, I was toying with an idea of writing a spoof about a wizard called Harriet Porter, who attends a school called Toadhorns...but then I remembered that I'm deathly afraid of lawyers.  So I decided to scrap the idea and work on something completely different, but still in the realm of magic.  It's partly inspired by one of the concepts in Neil Gaiman's brilliant Stardust, and partly inspired by apartheid. 

Only the first page has been written, but I'm already finding the main character to be quite fun to write.  She's got a bit of moxie, this one. 




Once again, the weather's pleasant here, so no "Beat the Heat" tip.  Instead, I thought I'd try out something different:

"Movie of the Week."  The Good Night, starring Martin Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Simon Pegg.  An incredibly slow first twenty minutes, during which I wondered what I'd gotten myself into, but I kind of loved this movie once it got going.  It deals with one man's attempts to descend into his dreams instead of facing up to reality.  But can he find the satisfaction he's looking for, or is he only pushing away what really matters most?




More news and nonsense next week, when I should have my nature story completed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment