Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Stories of the Week for August 14, 2013

I believe I said I'd have the environmental horror story finished by this week, but, um...a dog ate my homework.  This week has been a busy one. 





Between drawing the cover for my new hard-boiled detective story, taking my first stab at self-publishing, watching the Star Trek reboot, listening to podcasts on classic horror movies,  rewriting a query letter for a young adult science fiction novel I've been working on, banging my head against a wall trying to figure out how to digitally sign a story contract in Microsoft Word (before finally realizing that my Microsoft Word Starter program doesn't actually support such a feature...thanks, Microsoft), and then signing a different story contract for another company through Docusign (which was surprisingly smooth and easy after the previous debacle), I haven't had as much time for the nature story as I would have liked. 

I've also started writing a post for a friend's blog, JaclynAurore.com, which I should be sending to her soon.  The post is centered on experimentation, and I'm not talking about what may or may not have happened to people in college.  I'm talking about story experimentation. 

I got the idea for the post after my slightly experimental new story, Crushed, was accepted by DarkFuse for their “Horror d'oeuvres” subscriber-based site, which focuses on horror flash fiction. 

I signed the contract they sent me last night (the aforementioned Docusign one), and the story is scheduled to appear on their website on September 6, 2013, and hopefully later in an anthology. 

I'll let you know when the post on her blog goes live.


Oh, and the Movie of the Week for this week is JJ Abrams' 2009 Star Trek, which I watched for the first time on Blu-Ray this week.  I thought it was excellent, though I could have done without a preteen Kirk in a rather ridiculous car chase scene, which seemed to belong more in Thelma and Louise than in an otherwise thoroughly entertaining sci-fi movie.  And the much talked about use of lens flare didn't really bother me.  I'd heard the director used it to make the CG less noticeable, and to draw the viewer into the screen more, and it seemed to do as advertised. 





No comments:

Post a Comment